Subtitle

“Be good to your children. They will be the custodians of your legacy.” —Peter J. Vorzimmer

Friday, April 8, 2016

The Summer of 1977, Part II

If you’ve read the original post, The Summer of 1977, then you’ve read the brief introduction below. You can skip to the text of the letter. I hesitated including this earlier letter as it’s not as interesting as the previously-posted letter of July 26, 1977. As always, I’ve not deleted anything, not even my father’s racist epithets or other embarrassing comments and you can find a link to a scan of the original letter at the end.

In the spring of 1977, when I was 18, my father and I planned to take trip together to France and Spain. We were to drive down from England, where he was spending the summer, over to France and then to Spain by car, and back again. He promised to cover my airfare from New York to London while I covered the rest of my expenses. After my spring semester at Temple in Philadelphia, I went to visit my mother in Michigan after which I would fly to New York and then on to London.

At the time, my father had three houses, the Wallace Street house in Philadelphia and two in the UK, one in Cambridge on Highworth Avenue and the other, south of the city, in the village of Pampisford. He told me of his intention to leave my stepmother and sisters at the house in Pampisford once they got to England and move into the Highworth Avenue house.

Sometime during the spring semester, my 40-year-old father, had begun an affair with one of his students, an attractive 21-year-old girl by the name of Lucy. I had met her when I attended one of my father’s lectures for the class in which she was a student. I knew of the affair and was even asked to cover for him at times. Without consulting me, my father decided to include her in our summer plans and clearly intended for her to spend the rest of the summer with us at the Highworth Avenue house.


Friday, May 13th, 7 p.m.
Dear Jeff,
It's been a very busy week for me . . . but everything is humming along fine. Guess I’ll start where we left off. Saw Lucy for the last time on Friday. Managed to get everything done in Philadelphia--exams, grade sheets, papers, etc. Things were moving apace with regard to Mary Ann and Stanley . . . it was to be up to Stan on Sunday night. Everything went smoothly on Saturday. Susan was about 20 lbs. overweight but got away with it. We got up at 6:15 pm, Susan boarded her flight about 7:20 and just grunted a goodbye, Good riddance to her and all her kind, I say. We boarded an hour later. Good flight . . . got in on time . . . 8:50 a.m., our taxi man waiting, we got here in Pampisford at 11 a.m. Bev was tired. I moved about 35 boxes because I knew I was going out around 7pm and wanted Bev to have something to do in the evening. Went 'round to Stan's. We went several places and then went to the boathouse. Mary Ann's phone was busy from l0:30 to about 11:15, so, since I knew Lucy would be home by then I called her. She was glad to hear from me. Stan has this bird coming over, not May 2Oth as he had previously said, but on June 2Oth. She's about 27, married to a Finn, lives in Minn., and is coming with a 15 year old brother . . . what a rip for Stan.  He'll wind up showing them around everything . . . then says he'll pay for her to come back on her own as soon as she ferries her brother home! He started pissing me about with regard to money and so, since Lucy was also dickering around about her bloody graduation, I decided to start thinking about #1 for a change . . . particularly as Mary Ann knew we were calling and somebody damn well didn't get off the phone. Lucy, no longer under my Svengali influence, is procrastinating. But things did get a little difficult what with Mary Ann backing out and her father so insistent on graduation day. Said she would come on May 28 (arrive that day. Well, what could I say? I was a little disappointed, but then I've been thinking very selfishly. So . . . I spoke to her Tuesday and again today. She doesn't think she can hold out for 2 more weeks, has told her mother she doesn't want to go through the bloody ceremony; but that's different from telling her father the same thing. If she breaks down and comes, it will probably be next Thursday the 19th--if she comes early--otherwise the 28th. She's depressing the hell out of me because she keeps repeating that it will only be a summertime thing. Now she's talking about leaving at the end of July . . . sounds to pat and premeditated to me . . . but why knock a good thing, eh? If I can have a great June and a great Pamplona, what the hell do I care? Right?
You've got a job waiting for you at the pub, in fact they're hiring new people right now. I wouldn't advise waiting longer than arriving here on June 7th, tho. Two cute chicks working at the pub; Jane, aged 22, beautiful red hair, short, cute as hell, and Diana, about 20, short and dark . . . rest are the usual, Judy and her fiancé, David the pub manager. The usual fort crowd. The nigger had left Highworth Avenue--in a bit of a shambles--filthy beyond belief, but nothing stolen. One mattress had to be thrown away, one bed broken. Place a pig sty.  Roland started work on Tuesday, same as me--he also has another man. Status report as of end of work today: one bedroom done--painted and papered; one bedroom about l/8 done. I have the kitchen 2/3rds done . . . it was really rough. I have torn up and scraped the floor and put one undercoat on everything . . . cabinets, window trim, door, etc. Not to mention cleaning stove, fridge, etc. Central heating working fine. It is 4:30 here and has been raining on and off, lightly, since we arrived. Top temp is 60º. Bought a beautiful 2.4 Jaguar saloon car, 1968, with 50,000 original miles on it, for $510.  Everything is fine . . . has passed inspection and a11. Will put a coat of paint on it (just dull at the moment while I'm in Spain and think I'll bring it back to America with me .. what a steal! Don't get it until May 22nd. House will be in good shape in a week's time. Bev is adjusting well, but my 'procrastinating' is of course pushing further away the moment of truth . . . and Lucy isn't in the picture yet.  I've been out every single night for 5 nights now and she hasn't said a thing. Of course Lucy will tip the balance completely. Wish I could say that I wasn't slightly depressed about her, however . . .  The kids were out at Highworth Ave., today, they liked it. I will move in on the 22nd, when I get the second car . . . Bev knows that. Of course, it might be 3 days sooner if Lucy opts for the early arrival, which I don't think she will. Ray Walker turned me onto the Jag, he has driven it and says it's OK . . . in fact he said it was worth 500 pounds, but says I could drive it to London and sell it instantly for 800. I reckon with a new coat of paint on it (metallic grey) I could get about $3200 in the States. With the purchase, the painting and the shipping, will get it to Philly for just under 1000. It has real leather seats which are just supple now . . . really pleased about my purchase. Expenses are mounting on the refurbishing of Highworth Ave., it cost $150 to put in the front lawn. Then inside and outside work will cost me another $450; but it will be a little dream house when it's done
Tomorrow there's an antique and toy dealer's Fair, lots of lead soldiers and dinky toys. But also have to paint the kitchen and lay the new vinyl floor. That should finish the kitchen; bathroom is next.

Hope all is going well with you; hope Michigan turned out as expected. Keep me informed of your plans. Tell Mark I'd be interested to hear his as well. I've talked to Clive twice; he was coming up Thursday but didn't make it. Called on Wednesday, thought it was Monday . . . said, "Christ, what happened to Monday and Tuesday". Let's hear from you, 
 
A PDF of the original letter can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment